Pool fences and safety barriers commonly fail because:
- the gates are not self-closing and self-latching from all points
- the height of the pool safety barrier is less than 1200 millimetres because ground levels and garden beds have increased or grown over time and have, therefore, reduced the height of the pool barrier
- the adjoining boundary fences have climbable rails
- the windows opening into the pool enclosure must not be able to be opened with more than a 100 millimetre gap
- there are climbable objects near the pool safety barrier.